Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Three Colombian Matryoshka

Colombian Folk Dancer Matryoshka

Colombian Misak or Guambiana


Colombian Palenquera of Cartagena


The only way to describe my experience researching Colombia is— So many cultures! So little time! There are so many beautiful cultures, I was absolutely overwhelmed with possibilities. I decided to narrow it down to three to start with, because I could not choose just one!

The "folk dancer" inspired Colombian is wearing the national colors of the flag: yellow, blue, and red. With a ruffled full skirt, perfect for twirling, and pretty flowers in her hair.

The Misak or Guambiana Colombian is a little girl from one of the many indigenous peoples of Colombia. I am fascinated by the different mountain people of the world and feel the kinship in their cultural ways of life.

The Palenquera of Cartagena Colombia represents the women who sell fruit and are known for their multicolored clothing, and posing with bowls of fruit carried on their heads. They are an African Diaspora culture of Colombia.

So you see why I could not draw just one. And with that, I salute the rich cultural diversity of Colombia!  

Peace,
Amy


No comments: