Friday, October 15, 2010

New- Native American Woman Matryoshka Print

Native American Woman Matryoshka Close-Up Print

Native American Woman Matryoshka Print

My latest matryoshka illustration fits into both my usual traditional dress matryoshka series of dolls, and my new American women matryoshka series. I really enjoyed researching Native American traditional dress and coming up with this, my version. Anybody know why I chose a turtle as a design element?

I also came across another subject I would like to illustrate. It is not matryoshka but related. That is all the hint I will give for now. You will have to wait and I will surprise you. I promise not to make you wait too long. :)

Also, an update- Holly did a very nice post on her blog about the matryoshka portrait I did of her (she was my first American Woman Matryoshka- Holly 21st Century). She included the photos of herself that were my inspiration. Thank you Holly! :)

Have a great weekend everybody!

8 comments:

SonatasWelt said...

Amy, she is fantastic!!!

Amy Perrotti said...

Thank you Sonata! :)

l said...

I love her :) x

Amy Perrotti said...

Thank you so much Louise Elizabeth! :)

Anonymous said...

Well I certainly think this is a lovely illustration, would it be possible to include the name of the tribe/nation that inspired it? Labeling her as 'Native American' doesn't say much about her origins. I've much appreciated the specificity of the other dolls and would like to know which group inspired this one.

Amy Perrotti said...

Thank you. I don't know why I didn't draw a specific tribe/nation. Somehow it felt too close to home I guess and I didn't want it to seem I was playing favorites. I wanted to portray an original American and I've heard that Turtle Island is what this land was called. So that is why I incorporated turtles as a design element (which is very unusual, because I usually go with the floral, leaf, or swirl design motifs).

Anonymous said...

And thank you for responding. At a quick look, I would guess her dress to be either Cheyenne or Kiowa inspired. Buckskin is associated with the plains nations. Turtles are found in the art of a number of nations. Perhaps you could include 'plains' in the title if you were inspired by a number of groups from that area?

Amy Perrotti said...

Yes I agree, but since I have already gotten a copyright for this under it's current name I need to keep it as is. I may draw more American tribes/nations in the future though and I will keep your comments in mind. Thank you for your interest and helpful input. :)